Club Notes 22nd July

Monday, July 22, 2013

There was no Match 4 winner of the Club Lotto on Friday, 19th July when the numbers drawn were 5, 7, 9 and 28 so next week, the jackpot goes up to €3,600. Tom Kearney was the name drawn in the Lucky Dip and will receive €25. As always, we encourage members to register to play online or to promote the Lotto to others. Further details are available at
Senior Hurling Championship
The Bray Emmets Senior Hurlers will try to get back to winning ways when they face Kiltegan in the Senior Hurling Championship on Saturday night next, 27th July, in Aughrim. Throw in is at 5.30 p.m. and all support is greatly appreciated.
Leinster U-21 Hurling Final
On Wednesday, 24th July, the Wicklow U-21 Hurlers take on Kildare in the Leinster A Final. The game starts at 7.30 p.m. in Aughrim and the Club is well represented with Luke O’Reilly, Peter O’Reilly, Mikey Lee, Harry Stephenson, Cian O’Byrne, Nicky Sweeney, Jim Doyle and Luke Maloney all featuring on the panel. Here’s hoping the lads can win the cup!
Well Wishes
All in Bray Emmets GAA Club send our warmest wishes to Tony McLaughlin and wish him a speedy recovery.
The Club is delighted to announce that it has just launched its own Twitter profile, @BrayEmmets. For those of you who want the latest news and results from the Club in 140 characters, please follow us and recommend us to your friends!

Senior Footballers scrape through in championship opener
Bray Emmets Mens Senior Footballers kicked off their 2013 Senior Football Championship campaign last Saturday evening, 20th July, in Aughrim against Arklow Geraldines Ballymoney (AGB).  Bray had been hit hard with injuries with both Brian and John O’Keefe, along with Paul Cunningham all failing fitness tests before the game. The game was played in beautiful sunshine but with both teams having to deal with the heat. AGB took the first score, a point, but Bray replied almost immediately with a point from Liam McGraynor. Des Kelly and Jordan Egan also added a point each for Bray but despite having lots of possession and plenty of opportunities Bray could not take their scores. AGB got back into the game with two points before Niall McGraynor added a point just before half time so that Bray were lead 0-04 to AGB’s 0-03. 
Bray made a change a halftime with Adam Conway coming on for Jordan Egan and Conway had an immediate effect when he set up Niall McGraynor for a goal after two minutes after the restart. Unfortunately, after six minutes, Bray were reduced to fourteen men when John Breslin was sent to the line with a second yellow card. AGB took advantage of the extra man, adding four points to their tally without reply. Bray had plenty of chances but continued to add to their tally of wides. Adam Benson came on for Daire Lohan and Fergal Devlin switched with Des Kelly. With just five minutes left on the clock, Conor Flannery made a welcome return to Senior Championship Football and showed everybody how to take scores, scoring two points for Bray, AGB got a point with the last kick of the game but the final score was Bray Emmets 1-6 AGB 0-8. 
Emmet Bhré: Paul O’Keeffe, Eoin O’Dea, Conor Power, Sean O’Neill, Cormac Martin, Luke Benson, Ross McAnespie, Rory Breslin, John Breslin, Jordan Egan (0-01), Des Kelly (0-01), Mark Linehan, Liam McGraynor (0-01), Niall McGraynor (1-01), Daire Lohan, Stephen Carton, Adam Benson, Mark Nolan, Adam Conway, Cathal Feelly, Fergal Devlin, Conor Flannery (0-02), Niall McCague.

Senior Ladies exit championship

Unfortunately, the Bray Emmets Ladies Senior Footballers are out of the Championship after suffering a heavy defeat at the hands of Valleymount on Saturday evening, 20th July. Well done to the players who lined out and ensured that the fixture was fulfilled. Emmets now face Tinahely in their third and final group game. 

Junior Hurlers through to Junior A semi-final
The Junior Hurlers qualified for the Junior A semi-final after a strong league performance. With a mixture of youth and experience they faced Carnew at Arklow on Monday evening last. The game was competitive from the start. Bray dominated in the opening moments of the first half winning a lot of ball but did not convert all scoring chances.  Carnew goaled at vital stages but Emmets never let up in the second half. Some hard work in the forwards from with Lennon and McCormack brought the gap back to three points however it was not enough and at the final whistle the gap of one goal remained. Many thanks to the management team of John Anders, Brian Lambe and John Ward for their dedication and commitment throughout the year.  In particular to Wardie for all his hard work ensuring we had fifteen players every Wednesday night. Final Score: Carnew 2-5 Bray Emmets 0-8 
Team: E. Mc Cormack, B Brazil, C. Ó Maolmhuaidh, D. Eglington, E Fitzgerald, M. Walsh, S Malone, R. Tynan, M. Lennon, E. McCormack, D. Maloney, W. Nolan, O. Brazil, C. Dúlacháin, S Anders. Subs S. Lohan for Fitzgerlad,  J. Ward for Anders. Scorers: Maloney 0-4, O Dúlacháin 0-2, Lennon 0-1, McCormack 0-1.

U12 footballers journey to Baltinglass
In very hot and humid conditions, Bray made the long journey to Baltinglass to play in the Two Team Group Under-12 competition. Whether it was the heat or the long journey, Bray started slowly and Baltinglass were well up after 5 minutes. Despite the excellent efforts of Eoin, Tadhg and Art in the back line and Zack in goals Bray were struggling. However, Bray started to play good quick ball into David Nesbitt who was a constant thorn in Baltinglass's side and raised a number of green and white flags. He was ably assisted by Riain, Josh, Sam and in particular Conrad who scored an excellent goal after a well worked move. David Martin on his introduction brought great pace and effort and there little to sperate the teams at half-time.
The huge effort to bring themselves back into the game and summer camps during the day took its toll in the second half with Baltinglass dominating in most positions and took some excellent scores. Despite many players out on their feet Zack made a huge difference outfield, with continued hard work from Tadhg, Art, and David in the backline. In midfield where Baltinglass normally outnumbered us, Josh and Conrad continued to give 100% and although Riain and David Nesbitt were starved of possession they always looked dangerous. Sam played well in goal but particular mention must go to Eoin Holmes who kept his man scoreless when in the back line and played very well when he went to midfield (wearing a Munster cap no less!!)
Team: Josh Pyper, Conrad Ruddy, David Martin, David Nesbitt, Eoin Holmes, Tadhg McCarthy, Riain MacMaolin, Art Whittle, Zack Collins, Sam Kearney
On the other pitch the lads also took a while to get started with Stephen in goals called in to action early on, the ball stayed in the Bray half until the water break at the half way point of the first half. Whether the break or something in the water, Bray were in control after that break and upped the tempo with Donal contesting any ball or opponent who came anyway near him. Sebastian was unmovable at the back, and Peter outpaced any of the opposition near him to get to the ball first. Sean linked well with the tireless Davy supplying useful ball to the forward line containing Daniel, Sean and Luke, who despite the hot conditions, chased gamely after all ball that came their way. Half time saw Eoin move into goal, and he used his height to dive and make a couple of spectacular saves. Stephen moved to the back line and constantly caught the ball cleanly and steered the ball skilfully from defence to the safety of midfield. A special mention must go to Rory who, because of the highly positive impact of his late introduction, became a target of attention from the opposition, despite this, as well as blood loss from his mouth, Rory refused to take a backward step and was a major factor in the team's one point victory.
Team: Daniel Flavin, Davy Maloney, Donal Spaine, Eoin Fitsimons, Luke Brandon, Peter Aherne, Rory Whelan, Sean Cox, Sean McDonagh, Sebastian Coleman, Stephen Reynolds