Under 9 Football

22 November, 2008

Bray played a football match against Good Counsel in a cold but dry Old Conna on Saturday morning in what could be described as a Tale of Two Halves. There was a great turn out of players and it was also great to see so many parents to help and support the team which encouraged the children to play so well. Good Counsel were a little under strength but were willing to accept a few of our players to ensure that everyone played and that nobody was left standing on the sideline. In addition Lochlann brought two of his cousins along to play for Bray so when we divided our squad into 2 teams we realised that we had enough to give Good Counsel 3 players for each team for the first half and then replace them with 3 different players for the second half. Those players who agreed to play for the other team deserve great credit for agreeing to and for playing so well to make two competitive matches.

On the Green pitch Bray made a good start. Eoghan, Noah and Ben Kearney were prominent around the middle of the field and Shane and Donncha got a number of scores for Bray. Lochlann and Fiachra played very well and by the half-time break the score was 19 - 0 in favour of Bray. Christopher, Daniel and Ben Fay Foley played the second half for Bray and played with great heart and determination. Good Counsel began to get back in to the game and got a few scores. Luke in goals was determined not to let good Counsel get through and made a number of fine saves. Although Good Counsel shaded the second half Bray held out in the end for a deserved 25 - 13 win.

On the White pitch Good Counsel dominated the first half playing with the wind. The Bray team were up against it and found it hard to get the ball into the other half. Paddy and Cian did well in midfield and defenders Anton, Rory and Paul kept making it as difficult as possible for the Good Counsel forwards. Joshua and Garret were in hard luck in front of goal and the half time score was 22 - 1 against Bray. In the second half Shane Mc Dermott and Jason arrived and the team was reorganised with Cormac coming out of goal to play midfield and Niall, Conor and Aaron playing the second half with Bray. Bray took over in the second half and the pressure was all on Good Counsel. Bray got the first score and the fight back was started. Bray controlled virtually every kick out with Cormac, Conor, Aaron and Shane getting score after score. When the final whistle sounded both sets of children were anxious to know the final score which turned out to be a 27 - 23 victory for Bray. So when the scores from both matches were totted up it resulted in an overall 52 - 36 win for Bray.