Match Report: Minor Hurling Championship Final

17 November, 2013

There is one thing that this current crop of Minors could never be excused of and that is that they play in dull and boring finals! After the drama of the football decider and replay a few weeks ago, many of the same players were again involved in another thrilling encounter when they faced Carnew Emmets in the County Hurling Final on Sunday, 17th November.
Given the time of year, the game was played in good conditions in Arklow and during a scrappy opening, Carnew were first to register, opening their account with a pointed free. After some great work by Padraig Doyle, Ben Mac Cormaic popped over Bray’s first point and was soon followed on to the list of scorers by Bill Moorehouse who fired over after Carnew had raised a second white flag. Carnew added another point to their tally before Moorehouse ran on to a long ball and rifled to the net to give Bray the lead for the first time. Growing in confidence, Bray began to exert some real pressure on the Carnew defence with Ben Mac Cormaic to the fore. His three frees were all expertly taken but to their credit, Carnew kept in touch with some points of their own. By the time Padraig Doyle ended the half with a brilliant catch and score, there were three points between the sides; Bray Emmets 1-6 Carnew Emmets 0-6.
Carnew raced out of the blocks in the second half and claimed four of the first five scores, Bray’s only point coming from the ever accurate Ben Mac Cormaic. The sides were now level 1-7 to 0-10 but in truth, Bray were really struggling and looked to be in serious trouble. And had it not been for a timely interception from Matt Thompson, who flicked the ball away from a waiting Carnew attacker, surely the South Wicklow men would have capped this period of dominance with a goal. They did however score a point and with ten minutes left, looked the more likely winners. However, Bray displayed real character and inspired by Daire Henderson, they dragged themselves back into contention. Padraig Doyle, who troubled the Carnew defence all day, won a very difficult ball and somehow managed to work it over the bar for a Bray equaliser. Both sides missed great opportunities to score but as the game entered its final moments, Bray were beginning to dominate and laid siege to the Carnew goal. And when Captain Marc Lennon brilliantly turned his man and raced through to split the posts, it looked like the cup was on its way to Bray. Normal time was up and Bray defended resolutely with a number of brilliant blocks and tackles. However, right at the death, Carnew sent over a long distance free to level the game and before the crowd had time to draw breath, the referee blew the final whistle. The final score was Bray Emmets 1-9 Carnew Emmets 0-12.
Best for Bray were the defensive trio of Donnchadh O Midheadh, Ryan Tynan and Peter Conroy, Daire Henderson was superb in the middle of the park while up front, Padraig Doyle and, Ben Mac Cormaic were the standout performers. The replay has been fixed for 11.30 a.m. next Sunday, 17th November in Arklow and hopefully, we will have another large crowd in attendance to support the boys.
Emmet Bhré: Dylan Terry, Donnchadh O Midheadh, Ryan Tynan, Shane Anders, Sean Maloney, Peter Conroy, Matt Thompson, Eoin Mac Cormaic, Daire Henderson, Shane Lohan, Padraig Doyle, Ben Mac Cormaic, Cathal Mac Aodh, Marc Lennon, Bill Moorehouse. Substitutes: Conor Doherty, Patrick Cunningham, Conor McNally, Daniel Kennedy, Michael Burton, Liam Morgan