Minor Footballers prevail over St Nicholas

5 September, 2012

Minor Championship Round 3

Bray Emmets 1-10 St Nicholas 1-7

This again was another must win game for our minors at home on Wednesday evening under lights in conditions that couldn't have been any better for championship football. To date we had won one game and lost one.

Bray came straight out of the traps and registered the first two scores of the game from Daire Lohan, one from play and one free. For the rest of the half Bray maintained that two point advantage. St. Nicholas got one back and then Ben McCormack who was running the St Nicholas defence ragged throughout scored a fine point from play. St Nicholas replied with a point from a close range free and we responded with an excellent individual point from Cian O'Byrne where he twice dummied the St Nichs defence to calmly slot the ball over the bar. Back came St Nichs with a good point themselves from play which we followed up with a long range score from Lee Brandon who was also doing well at centre forward for his first start of the season. At times our defence were under pressure with the pace at which St Nichs were moving the ball but coming towards the end of the half Cathal Ó Dualachain, Shane Lohan and Ishe Mensa were all getting the better of their markers.

We started the second half with a close range free from Cian O'Byrne. For the next ten minutes both defences were on top with no scores from either side but then St Nichs came storming back into the game scoring an excellent goal making it all square for the first time. We responded with a free from Daire Lohan which was the result of good work from Dan Coady, Ben McCormack and Cian O'Byrne. St Nichs replied again with a point and then we got another good score from play from Lee Brandon to put us one point up. It was just score for score at this stage and again St Nichs came down the pitch to work a good score. And then came the match decider. Luke Maloney on as a sub collected the ball on the 40 and took on the St Nichs defence before delivering an inch perfect pass to Jim Doyle who went around the keeper but was rugby tackled to the ground for his troubles. A certain penalty that St Nichs would have no arguments over and it was coolly slotted to the bottom right hand corner by Lee Brandon. Three points in it and 8 minutes left. St Nichs increased the pressure in search of a goal but as with the previous week against Baltinglass our defence were magnificent not to concede a goal. Pádraig Doyle pulled off a point blank save in the final few minutes that must have deflated the St Nichs team as they realised there was no way through the Bray defence. St Nichs got a point which we responded with another fine Lee Brandon point to finish the game 3 points on top.

If Brays senior win on the weekend against Rathnew was the game of the week well then surely this was next in line. This was real quality championship football from both teams that was played in a sporting manner. Bray had injuries to key players in this match when Hugh Armstrong limped off injured in the first half and then Donnacha O'Midheach in the second, who were both doing well until forced off. Other good performances in defence came from Enda Molloy and Matt Thompson. Daire Henderson and Daire Lohan definitely got the better of the midfield battle and up front Dan Coady put in a tireless effort when moved to wing forward. Shane Anders and his replacement Liam Morgan worked hard in the corner. 

Round 4 is next Wednesday (12th Sept) in Wicklow town vs. St Pats and throw in is at 6.45pm. The team is building up a nice gathering of support and it would be great to see them all down to support us in this vital away game.