Under 14 Hurling County Final

20 October, 2008

Bray 4-2, Glenealy 2-5

Bray Emmets collected their 6th U14 A Hurling Championship in a row on Saturday after a hard fought battle with Glenealy. While the score was close in the end, Bray had led by 7 points with minutes remaining but Glenealy scored a goal and a point late on to put pressure on the Champions up to the final whistle.

The game was played in dry conditions with a stiff breeze which spoiled the game slightly. Glenealy started with the breeze and scored the first point. The Bray defence played well and kept the scores at 0-1 to 0 until 20 minutes when a move involving Jim Doyle with a pass to Ryan Tynan, a hand pass to Cian O'Byrne , a cross to Andy Bartley and a goal for Bray put them in the driving seat. During this period team captain Cathal O'Dualachan and Enda Molloy were outstanding while Daragh Lohan made a great save to keep us in the game. Graham Sutton had his best game ever for us getting out in front and clearing great ball while Luke Maloney tidied up a lot of ball and drove the team forward. Our new full back Dara Henderson never put a foot wrong and was coolness personified when Glenealy applied the pressure. Mark Lennon was narrowly wide with a great effort but himself and Ben Mc Cormack got through a lot of work

Just before half time Glenealy broke through for 2 points from frees and a goal to lead by 1-3 to 1-0. While Bray were only 3 points behind and about to play with the wind it looked like Glenealy had the upper hand thanks to that late goal.

Bray started the second half and almost got a goal when Danny O'Toole was wide from close in however everything turned on 5 minutes when Jim Doyle gathered on the 14 and blasted to the net. We were now all square and dominating around the half back line with Molloy in defiant mood. Bray went ahead on the 10th minute when Luke Maloney came up the field and delivered a long ball to the forwards. The ball was gathered by Cian O'Byrne who beat his man and unleashed a great shot to the corner of the net. Almost immediately Bray got their 4th goal when Jim Doyle once again beat the full back and kicked the sliothar to the net. Doyle added 2 points from long range frees and we were almost home leading by 4-2 to 1-4. Glenealy rallied and scored 1-1 in the last minute and extra time but time ran out for this valient side.

Enda Molloy was magnificent all through the game and deservedly got the man of the match award. Muiris O'Floinn and Diarmuid Masterson broke even in the middle while Jim Doyle was always a threat up front aided by Cian O'Byrne. Ryan Fagan did well when introduced as did Josh Connolly and Alan Dougan.

The team had a great year and a special thanks to the players, parents and mentor Chris Masterson and his wfe Kate who did everything to ensure the team was well prepared and looked after. The team, mentors and families went for a celebration meal with the cup in Arklow after the game.

Team: Daragh Lohan, Cathal O'Dulachan, Dara Henderson, Graham Sutton, Luke Maloney, Enda Molloy, Mark Lennon, Diarmuid Masterson, Muiris O'Floinn, Andy Bartley (1-0), Jim Doyle (2-2), Ben Mc Cormack, Cian O'Byrne (1-0), Danny O'Toole, Ryan Tynan, Ryan Fagan, Josh Connolly, Alan Dougan, Stephen Kirwan, Eoin Mc Cormack, Matthew Thompson, Paul Moran.