U14 Football Final

30 October, 2016

Following the Senior Final curtain raiser the BIG game was played when the Under 14s replayed their final against neighbours An Tochar. Playing with a strong breeze in the first half Bray started slowly and An Tochar took an early lead. Through the hard work of Jack Treacy and Luke & Charlie Dunne in the forwards Bray came into the game with Brian Nesbitt and captain Sam Kearney scoring crucial goals to put Bray in front. It wasn’t one way traffic though with An Tochar through Darragh Fee were causing problems for the Bray backs and only for a timely intervention by Philip Jacob late in the first half An Tochar would have been in for a goal. Buoyed by this let off  Bray finished the half well with the half back line of Art Whittle, Sebastain Coleman and Donal Spaine beginning to dominate and with further excellent scores from Gavin Rochford and Charlie Dunne Bray led by 2.5 to 0.3 at the break.

With a big pitch and strong breeze it was unclear if an eight point lead would be enough. However Bray were quickly out of the traps in the second half scoring a goal almost straight from the throw in to give the team a bit of a cushion. Playing into the wind meant the hard running Evan Barry, Ben Robinson and Sam Kearney were on the ball more and with spaces opening up Bray scored a number of goals. An Tochar however kept rallying and with the ever sharp Gordon Brady keeping the scoreboard ticking over for An Tochar Bray were never really pull away. The back line now were under more pressure but the ever reliable Jamie Ryan, Michael McCarthy, Luan Roddy, Tadhg McCarthy and Aaron O’Rourke kept the An Tochar attacks at bay ensuring Ben O’Gorman (who like Sam had being part of the victorious Under Sixteen hurling team a couple of weeks previously) was not a lot of pressure. The introduction of Nathan Prunty and Oscar Harty brought further threat upfront for Bray who eventually ran out 6:6 to 1:11 winners for a great double for the club on the day.

This was a great effort by the squad in a very competitive division, everyone played their part with a number of players injured for the final being instrumental in getting the team there. Special thanks to all the parents and under 16 squad who stayed for the game, their support was really appreciated by the team. The squad would also like to thank members of the victorious Senior team who made time after their own victory to come over to provide words of encouragement before the game.