Championship Game V Carnew

14 June, 2008

This was an important game for us as we went into our second big test against Carnew at home in the all county League/Championship having already beaten Glenealy. We were immediately under pressure and with little time gone were 2-2 to 0-1 down with the heavy rain and wind against us. However, our team battled bravely. Some changes were made in defence and this reduced quality ball to the Carnew forwards. It also meant better feed of ball to our forwards who responded well with a good ground shot from Dylan Terry which ended up in the net. Bray gradually clawed their way back with some good points from free-taking by Michael Boland.

Carnew certainly had the better of exchanges and at half time were leading by 2-3 to 1-4.Half time came at an appropriate time for us as some tough talking had to be done and a much greater work rate was required in the second half. Some vital changes were also made. The team responded brilliantly with Fionn Kinne-Coyle making a hugh impact at centre forward and Cormac Foley scoring two great goals. The team was now on a roller coaster with a great point scored by Eoin McCormack from a free and further scores from Shane Lohan(1-1), Eoin(1-0) and Michael(1-1). Peter Conroy gave his usual solid display at midfield and when called upon made a huge impact at centre back. Patrick Cunningham was as determined as ever with excellent ground striking and tried really hard all throughout the game. He was ably assisted by Jack Carroll and Padraig Doyle who did solid work at full back when switched to that position.

The team were rewarded for their hard work in the second half and ended up victorious with a score line of 6-7 to 3-3. Great credit is due to all the u11s who had already been in battle in Swords in the morning and who showed tremendous commitment and stamina. Our next hurling game is on Saturday June 28th  at home against Glenealy. In the meantime there's lots of training to be done on Tuesdays and Thursdays.