U12 footballers journey to Baltinglass

15 July, 2013

In very hot and humid conditions, Bray made the long journey to Baltinglass to play in the Two Team Group Under-12 competition. Whether it was the heat or the long journey, Bray started slowly and Baltinglass were well up after 5 minutes. Despite the excellent efforts of Eoin, Tadhg and Art in the back line and Zack in goals Bray were struggling. However, Bray started to play good quick ball into David Nesbitt who was a constant thorn in Baltinglass's side and raised a number of green and white flags. He was ably assisted by Riain, Josh, Sam and in particular Conrad who scored an excellent goal after a well worked move. David Martin on his introduction brought great pace and effort and there little to sperate the teams at half-time.
The huge effort to bring themselves back into the game and summer camps during the day took its toll in the second half with Baltinglass dominating in most positions and took some excellent scores. Despite many players out on their feet Zack made a huge difference outfield, with continued hard work from Tadhg, Art, and David in the backline. In midfield where Baltinglass normally outnumbered us, Josh and Conrad continued to give 100% and although Riain and David Nesbitt were starved of possession they always looked dangerous. Sam played well in goal but particular mention must go to Eoin Holmes who kept his man scoreless when in the back line and played very well when he went to midfield (wearing a Munster cap no less!!)
Team: Josh Pyper, Conrad Ruddy, David Martin, David Nesbitt, Eoin Holmes, Tadhg McCarthy, Riain MacMaolin, Art Whittle, Zack Collins, Sam Kearney
On the other pitch the lads also took a while to get started with Stephen in goals called in to action early on, the ball stayed in the Bray half until the water break at the half way point of the first half. Whether the break or something in the water, Bray were in control after that break and upped the tempo with Donal contesting any ball or opponent who came anyway near him. Sebastian was unmovable at the back, and Peter outpaced any of the opposition near him to get to the ball first. Sean linked well with the tireless Davy supplying useful ball to the forward line containing Daniel, Sean and Luke, who despite the hot conditions, chased gamely after all ball that came their way. Half time saw Eoin move into goal, and he used his height to dive and make a couple of spectacular saves. Stephen moved to the back line and constantly caught the ball cleanly and steered the ball skilfully from defence to the safety of midfield. A special mention must go to Rory who, because of the highly positive impact of his late introduction, became a target of attention from the opposition, despite this, as well as blood loss from his mouth, Rory refused to take a backward step and was a major factor in the team's one point victory.
Team: Daniel Flavin, Davy Maloney, Donal Spaine, Eoin Fitsimons, Luke Brandon, Peter Aherne, Rory Whelan, Sean Cox, Sean McDonagh, Sebastian Coleman, Stephen Reynolds