U11 loose out to St Marks

8 June, 2013

St. Marks were also the opposition when Bray Emmets Under-11 Hurlers' winning streak came to an end in sun baked Tallaght last Saturday, 8th June. The match was scheduled to be played at 12.00 but was delayed due to the Bray convey getting lost! Arriving late resulted in little or no preparation for the Emmets players and St. Marks settled a bit quicker. However, excellent work from Philip and Jack brought Bray back into the game. Sebastain, Rory, Aaron and particularly Tadhg were very strong in the backline. Sam had some good moments in goal while Cathal, Daniel Flavin, Ben and Hannah worked very hard up front. Riain and Daniel Munro got into the game with Riain gaining a number of frees.  St. Marks were two scores ahead at half-time with the goal being cruel blow for all the work put in by the team.
A few changes, made at the break to give players a well deserved breather, resulted in Bray starting the stronger but St. Marks scored two more points, despite the best efforts of Cathal in goal and it looked like St Marks would run out easy winners.  However, continued hard work in the back line of Aaron, Tadhg Rory and Sebastain who never took a step backwards all day stopped the rot. Jack and Philip took over in midfield and slowly the forward line of Hannah, Daniel Munro, Ben, Riain and Daniel Flavin were creating space and scoring opportunities. Sam scored a number of points, one of which Joe Canning would have been proud of, which left only a goal in it coming into the last few minutes.  However, the strong defending of St. Marks towards the end ensured it was not to be Bray's day. This was an excellent game between two evenly matched teams. Everyone had to be impressed with the efforts of both sets of players in a very hard hitting (but fair) game. Special credit must go to the team for continuing to battle back into the game when all seemed lost. In very much a team effort, one player stood out and that was Philip Jakob who literally ran himself to a standstill! Thanks and well done to St. Marks and special mention to the referee who talked players through the match and kept the match going without being fussy.