17 May, 2008

Bray under-elevens, had their second football match in a week against another strong Cuala squad and it was a tale of two games, with the Green team losing their match by a large margin due to a poor start and the White team unluckily going down at the end of their match to a late score after dominating for most of the game.
The Green team were very slow to settle at the opening of their match, and with quick-passing opponents, and playing against a very strong breeze, were constantly under pressure for all of the first half. The very sharp Cuala outfit rained points over, and also cut through for three goals.

In the second half it was a different story, with the strong running and tackling Dylan Terry and Liam Benville dominating midfield for Bray, tigerish Daire McEnteggart tackling and linking well and the three Conors (Prendergast, McNally &  O Doherty) in the forward line cutting up the Cuala defence to score great goals and  points.  Centre back Padraig Doyle played well coming forward  and also scored a great point from a 45. Michael Pirkl and Conor Byrne stepped up the defensive pressure very well  to  protect the  alert and agile goalie, Patrick Michel and ensured that Bray were the better team in the second half, though by then the damage was done.

The White team gave a starring performance against their opponents in a thrilling game.  Keelan Gleeson was a sound goalkeeper, and the strong-tackling Thomas Emms and Mark Davenport anchoring a resolute defence.  The midfield partnership of 'fast' Jack Fitzgerald and nerveless Niall Martin  led the way throughout the match and both cut through for scores as well as providing the passes for fine-finishing forwards Billy Ray and Marcus Gleeson to lead the scoring. In a nip-and tuck struggle , Bray were ahead for most of the game, and it was only as they tired towards the end, with Cuala subs coming on to provide fresh legs, that they lost the advantage to a late goal and point to go down by three points in what was a heroic performance.