U10 hurlers ignore weather conditions

16 March, 2013

While most clubs in Dublin had to call off their matches last weekend, Bray were still able to host our games on Saturday, 9th March thanks to the fabulous facilities that we have at our disposal. We put out two teams of mixed abilities and all enjoyed a good morning of hurling.
Team 1: The lads were all geared up for a tough match against the visitors St. Anne's and it turned out to be just that.
For the first half we had a great pairing up front with Adam, James and Shane playing out of their skin knocking in several goals. While in midfield Oscar, Daniel and Joshua let very little pass them and battled really hard to keep St. Anne's in their own half. When the ball did manage to get as far back as our defence line, Quintin, Cian and Leon blocked the opposition out with great skill. While there was not much action in the first half for Conor, our goalkeeper,
He dealt ably with whatever came his way. In the second half, St. Anne's came out strong, knocking over a few good points but the Bray lads dug deep and pulled off some great scores of their own, even gaining a couple of extra skill points that eventually left them ahead by one point in the end. One other person who had a great match was our junior referee Owen Duffy. Squad: Leon Scanlon, Oscar Duggan, Adam Prunty, James Byrne, Shane Baguley, Quintin Lawlor, Daniel Murphy, Conor Duff, Joshua Butler, Cian Walsh.
Team 2: The second game at Páirc Emmet Bhré saw the Under-10 Hurlers Team 2 lose by the narrowest of margins to St. Anne's. The team started with great pace and had St Anne's reeling after the first half. Nathan in goals repelled all of their attacks and with his quick and accurate puck outs, set up a number of scores. He was aided in defence by Luan, Oscar Maloney and Finn who patrolled and controlled their players. The midfield of Gavin and Tim were also dominant and contributed by tackling, moving ball into the forwards and scoring. The forward trio of Evan, Oscar Harty and Jamie kept pressure on the St. Anne's defenders and contributed to the scoreboard. The team also adapted well to the constant subbing of players that was necessary as a result of the strong turnout of players with Simon and John joining in and adding their strength to the game when asked. 
The second half proved more difficult as the midfield of St. Anne's and their forwards began to get into the game with an excellent sideline cut being their standout score. The Bray hurlers fought back and after a couple of quick scores from Gavin and Luan drew level heading into the final minute. However, St. Anne's scored at the death and the game was lost. 
Squad: Nathan Prunty, Finn Treacy, Oscar Maloney, Luan Roddy, Tim Harrington, Gavin Rochford, John Butler, Evan Barry, Jamie Ryan, Oscar Harty, Simon Mahon