Under 10 Mini blitz – Bray, St Olafs & Ballinteer

25 October, 2008

Bray played host to St Olafs and Ballinteer St Johns in a 3 way hurling blitz recently. Both these teams had beaten us earlier in the year with BSJ in particular giving us a severe beating so we were using these games as a benchmark of our improvements over the summer. The reports are from the green team.

The first match against Olafs was an edgy affair as the Bray lads were determined not to be beaten on this occasion. Bray opened the scoring when Philip Redmond scored a nice 3pointer (over the bar worth 3, under the bar worth 1 in U10 Go games) from on the run. The match settled in to a midfield battle as the dominant defences quickly despatched any ball played into the forward positions back out again. Liam Carolan, Oisin Dougan and Mark Kenny were very strong for Bray in these positions. Olafs got a skill point for a bat down and added to this with a well-taken point from midfield. Going into the last few minutes Bray were pressing hard to try and at least draw and this persistence was awarded with a 65. Owen Duffy who had spent his summer holidays practising frees and sideline cuts stepped up and calmly dispatched the ball between the posts to give Bray a 6-4 lead. Olafs made a final push and were themselves awarded a 65 but their attempt just drifted to the right and was signalled wide to the relief of the Bray lads. A hard fought victory to the Bray lads.

The second game was against BSJ and Bray put in another hard battling game against a very skilled opposition. This game was tit for tat all the way as BSJ scored a 3 pointer, which was cancelled out, by scores from Stephen Finn and skill points from Owen Duffy and Philip Redmond. BSJ got their own skill point and again Bray responded with an absolute bullet of a ground shot from Ronan Browne from about 20 yards out which nearly tore the net off the posts. Into the last couple of minutes the match was level when our lads let their concentration slip and the BSJ forwards twice broke inside our back line to poach scores. The final score was 6-4 against us but this was a massive improvement on our early season form against this opposition.Many thanks to Richard Hourihan and Harry Stephenson for refereeing on the day.