League Game V Ballyboden

24 May, 2008

Bray played Ballyboden's no 1 team last Saturday in a hastily rescheduled football game due to the cancellation of our matches against Lucan No 2 and No 1 respectively. Although Ballyboden would be one of the kings of juvenile Dublin football we had a very close game with them last year so we were not over-awed.

Our main report is from the white pitch. This game started at a frantic pace and the Bray lads were competing well all over the pitch. We had a number of chances up front with Aonghus and Kevin N catching a lot of ball but the Ballyboden defence was quick to smother our shots on goal. Adam managed to beat the defence and scored a lovely point from the right side of the pitch. Ben and Mark put in huge efforts at midfield driving the ball forward and tracking back as the game ebbed and flowed. Kevin S, Conn and Luke held the back line and snubbed out many of the Ballyboden attacks. Aaron put in another great performance between the posts.

During the second half the pace of the match started to take it's toll on the Bray lads and the opposition had a number of subs that they were able to rotate on and off. However we still persevered and Mark brought a great cheer from our supporters with a well taken long-range score. The man of the match award on this pitch this week was shared between Luke and Adam who both played magnificently.

A brief report from the green pitch. Bray attacked this game right from the start and was leading at half time. The change about gave Ballyboden the benefit of a strong wind, which they used to their advantage as they gradually clawed back the deficit and moved into the lead. This was a very competitive game with well-taken scores from both sides. Aside from a little naivety on the Bray part when we turned into block downs from a well marshalled Ballyboden defence this game would have gone down to the wire.

Overall, two credible performances from Bray against one of the elite sides of Dublin football.