Seniors start with a win

24 February, 2013

The Mens Senior Football Team got their County League Division 1 campaign underway when they travelled to play Stratford-Grangecon early on Sunday morning, 24th February. The squad has been training hard for the last month under the guidance of new manager Jack Sheedy and his back room team of John Walsh, Mick O'Dea, Patrick Wogan and Cameron McKeever (Physio).   
Despite missing some squad regulars through long term injury (Liam McGraynor, Tony Denver and David Finn), Luke Benson (County Senior Footballers) and John Henderson (County Senior Hurlers) and various others who were not available on the day, the team was eager to build on the progress of a reasonably good 2012. Bray made a good start with Niall McGraynor opening the scoring with two points from play before Stratford replied by taking two points, both from frees. Conor Flannery, who was making a welcome return to the senior squad after a three year absence due to a long term injury, made his presence felt with three points (two from frees) before Stratford got themselves back into the game with a goal from a penalty and also a point. Bray had the majority of the possession but were not turning this into scores. Flannery did add another point just before half time break to leave the scoring even at Stratford 1-03 to Bray's 0-06. 
After the break Daire Lohan went on for Flannery who had picked up a minor injury. Bray started to play with a lot more urgency and accuracy, Adam Conway took the first score with a well taken point which was quickly added to with points from Paul Cunningham & Aaran Murphy (who was on release from the County U-21 Football squad for the weekend). Stratford came back with two points but thereafter it was all Bray with a point each from Niall McGraynor, Brian O'Keeffe, Daire Lohan and Paul Cunningham. Mark Nolan and John Breslin made their senior team debuts coming on for Adam Benson and Dave Farrell respectively. Bray put the result beyond doubt when Adam Conway managed to put the ball in the Stratford net despite the fact that he had lost his boot!. Cathal O'Dúlacháin came on for Adam Conway and Barry Cunningham for Arran Murphy. Paul Cunningham took another point after some great work before Niall McGraynor added a final point for Bray to bring the full time score for Bray to 1-16 to Stratford's 1-07.  
Finally a note of thanks to the host club for their kind hospitality in providing very welcome refreshments for all before the long journey back to Bray on a bitterly cold day.          
Bray Emmetss: Paul O'Keeffe, Sean O'Neill,  Conor Power, Eoin O'Dea, Adam Benson, Aaron Murphy (0-1), Ross McAnespie, Brian O'Keeffe (0-1), Dave Farrell, John O'Keeffe, Niall McGraynor (0-4), Paul Cunningham (0-3), Adam Conway (1-2), Rory Breslin, Conor Flannery (0-4)
Subs: Stephen Carton, John Breslin, Daire Lohan (0-1), Barry Cunningham, Mark Nolan, Cathal O'Dúlacháin, Cormac Martin.