Senior Hurling

28 May, 2016

Leinster League Division  2 Final.

All roads led to the Aquatic centre in Abbotstown. Last Saturday, 28th May, saw us make our way in big numbers to the National Sports Campus on a beautiful sunny evening to face Erins Own hurling Club from  Bagenalstown ijn Carlow, in the final of the Leinster League Div 2.

It was the Erins Own boys who got off to a flier with two great points from centre forward Craig Dolye, Christy Moorehouse pointed a free to get us on the board, but back came Carlow scoring a great goal from centre forward Doyle yet again, with our defence in chaos.

Moments later we were dealt another blow when Luke Maloney had to leave the field after a pull by one of the Carlow forwards which was not deemed actionable  by referee Anton Keating.

Willie Keane was introduced causing a shuffle with Daire Henderson (who was our most committed player on the day) moving back into the corner and Diarmuid Masterson dropping to half back.

Carlow continued to pile on the scores and raced into a 1.7 to 3 points lead, as the half went on, bit by bit we clawed our way back, with points from Eoin McCormack, Diarmuid, Christy and Mikey leaving a four point deficit at the break 1.8 to 7, with us having missed several scoring chances including a great goal chance, that been said, were it not for a terrific interception by Daire Henderson, that butchered a certain goal chance, the Carlow boys may have been further ahead at half time.

John Henderson & co couldn’t wait to get our lads into the dressing at half time, where he unleashed a huge amount of passion and clearly pointed out that anyone who thought we had the right to win this game was very clearly mistaken, and it was time to die with your boots on.

The second half started with certainly more intensity from our lads and we pressed forward for a point from Christy after two wides, again Carlow responded with three points from Craig Doyle(capt), and man of the match by a country mile, finishing the game with a total of 1.12, we did have point in between but it was from this point on that Erins own hit another purple patch, adding another 1.2 from play, Minchin the full forward firing the goal past Peter O’Reilly after our defence lost possession and a ball that should have been cleared ended in our net.

Our lads tried hard to get back the deficit but opted for goals when maybe a few more points would have brought us to a better position, none the less a lot cynical fouling towards to end by the Carlow backs ment we just couldn’t get through for the badly needed goals.

Paddy Lee and Sean Maloney came on for Paudge Doyle and Gearoid Murphy, John Henderson was pushed up and tried very hard to get us a bit more possession but to no avail, Christy and Mikey were lively inside but just couldn’t get that all important goal and the Carlow men, who were the better team on the day eased to a 2.18 to 13 point victory.

 A great day out and well done to all the boys, they gave it their all and maybe if we could get few practice matches against teams like this one, we will improve no end, the pace and level of hurling improving all the time.  For now it is back to the Wicklow championship, best of luck to all involved, and thanks for all the support.

Team: Peter O’Reilly, Cathal O’Dualachain, Peter Kiely, Luke Maloney, Daire Henderson, John Henderson, Karl Lacey, Mikey Lee, Eoin McCormack, Diarmuid Masterson, Padraic Doyle, Christy Moorehouse, Gearoid Murphy, Liam Kenny, Mark Lennon, Paddy Lee, Willie Keane, Seanie Maloney, Peter Walsh, Michael Walsh, Liam Benville, Conor Doherty, Ronan O’Brien, Paul Barry, and Shane Lohan. Injured were Philip Collins, Daire Lohan, Enda Forde, Ben McCormack, Eoin Mason, Darragh Maloney.