AIB Leinster Club Intermediate Hurling Quarter Final

5 November, 2016

Bray Emmets Vs Castletown

1-15 - 1-12.

We welcomed Castletown of Laois to Emmet Park Bray last Saturday. We started with the wind in our backs and set about building a lead of sizeable amounts to take us through the second half. Ben McCormack who came in for the injured Paul Cunningham opened the scoring with a point and Mikey Lee added another to settled the team and game on. Dylan Conroy pointed from a free, Christy put two points from frees and at this point the scoreboard came on 4 points to 1, Diarmuid Masterson fired over, Mikey two more and another two frees from Christy, and the gap was 9 to 2, we looked to be in a good position going in to the half time break but then came a big set- back, we conceded a penalty which Gearoid Gaughan blasted past Peter O’Reilly in the Bray goal, Conor Phelan added another point from the puck out and all of a sudden the lead was down to three, 9 points to 1.3 at half time.

John Henderson at centre back had personified Bray Emmets in the first half with his best performance of the year. Cian O’Byrne was introduced for Padge Doyle after the break and Bray extended their lead with two points again from dead balls. Aran Murphy, who was another contender for Man of the Match on the day, covered every inch of the field, picked up a well-directed ball and tore through the Castletown defence, forcing a great save from John Paul Bennett in the Laois goal, Mark Lennon was onto the rebound and fired a rocket to the bottom corner, we were back in control of this game again and the Bray crowd were getting behind the team.

Peter O’Reilly made a fantastic save from Ryan Mullaney, and Luke Maloney our recently crowned Christy ring star, cleared the rebound, to relieve the pressure. Diarmuid fired over a huge point from the middle and Castletown needed goals at this stage as we were well into the last ten minutes. The Laois boys did put some effort into the final seven or eight minutes, but the lead was too great, Enda Forde came on for Darragh Henderson, and did well, John Hendo who was outstanding, “Man of the Match” continued to deny the Laois attack of any goal chance, Mullaney , Phelan, and Conroy all shooting points, at the other end Christy kept the scoreboard ticking for Bray with two more frees and a point from play, a good finish from Castletown pushed us all the way but we held on for a three point win 1.15 to 1.12 and now face Celbridge on the 19th  at home in the semi-final.

A very special effort will be required from the whole panel for the next day, so any fellows “milking outside the bucket” will need to get focused and increase the effort. Many thanks to all the stewards, water boys, hurly carriers, cooks and all the backroom staff who made it a very memorable day for the club and presented the whole place in remarkable condition a real team effort.

Team: Peter O’Reilly, Daire Lohan, Peter Kiely, Luke Maloney, Daire Henderson, John Henderson, Sean Maloney, Arran Murphy, Diarmuid Masterson(2), Ronan Cunningham, Christy Moorehouse(9), Padraig doyle, Ben McCormack(1), Mikey Lee(3), Mark Lennon, Cian O’Byrne, Enda Forde, Willie Keane, Darragh Maloney, Karl Lacey, Conor McNally, Philip Collins, Peter Walsh, Liam Kenny, and Paul Barry. Paulie Cunningham  & Eoin McCormack injured.