Senior hurling Dublin League Division 5 final.

1 November, 2015

The final match of the Div 5 adult hurling Dublin League, and in two consecutive years we have managed promotion from div 6 to div 4 .We travelled over to Silver Park, Kilmacud, to try and ensure the next step on the ladder to become one of Dublin’s recognised senior hurling teams and put Bray Emmets on a level that we have wished for for many years.

We have waited for success of this kind, with five cups in the cabinet in Old Conna already this year and still in the hunt for a sixth, the Leinster. The game started at a hectic pace, Sean Garvey in the Kilmacud goal making a great save and Dara Maloney(1) firing the rebound just wide, Diarmuid Masterson opened the scoring with a point from a free and indeed it was the Diarmuid Masterson show for Bray as he added 1.3 leaving us 1.4 to 2 points with 15 minutes gone, Donal McGovern was keeping Crokes in the game from placed balls and looked like a real threat at times. Aron Murphy scored a point from play and Liam Kenny(1.) fired home one his trade mark goals to put us 2.7 to 4 ahead and playing well.

Kilmacud, the team that they are, came back at us with 1.2, a penalty that McGovern buried and two frees. Eoin McCormack(1) caught a great ball and drove it over the bar to calm the tide and then his brother Ben fired over to restore our dominance at the break, the half time score 2.9 to 1.6. It was up to Kilmacud now to come back at Bray but they just couldn’t string a few scores together to get them back into this game. It was “tit for tat” for most of the second half with both teams sharing points Masterson(1.9) and McGovern that mainly featured from placed balls. Then a life line for Crokes, with 7 or 8 minutes to go Terry McAllister blasted the ball past Peter O’Reilly in the Bray goal after a little over elaborate passing in the Bray defence. This was short lived because almost immediately Ben McCormack(1.1) flicked the ball one handed past Garvey in the Kilmacud goal, this was quickly followed by a point from Aron Murphy (2) after a well worked move from the Bray defence. Peter O’Reilly saved a penalty and two 21 yard frees late on and deserved the man of the man award after the game.

Peter Kiely, Daire Lohan and Ronan O’Brien had stood up under immense pressure towards the end of this match, and young Cathal O’Dulachain was superb after coming on as a sub before half time. Our boys rallied again Lorcan Pratt and Brian Duggan finished very strong before Pat Murphy blew the final whistle, final score 3.15 to 2.11. Karl Lacey picked up our fifth cup from Dublin CCC, to close a remarkable season.

The senior hurling management will have a big headache after today’s game with Liam Kenny breaking the door down for a start next Sunday against his native Kilkenny opponents Bennetts Bridge, in Aughrim .

Many thanks to all our supporters who once again travelled over to cheer us over the line, greatly appreciated, to Cameron who worked his socks off, Colm on the bag, Mick O’B, Willie Cash, Bill Maher for their assistance on the line, all the hurley carriers and water boys, Olan for the warm up, and don’t forget next Sunday in Aughrim, first of a double header, we face Bennetts Bridge of Kilkenny, in the curtain raiser to Rathnew and St Lomans of Westmeath in the Leinster club football championships.

Pat Lee