Senior Hurlers advance to championship semi final

6 October, 2012

Our senior hurlers booked a place in the semi final and take another step towards their first senior title for more years than I can remember, by beating St Pats of Wicklow, on a score line of 2.15 to 2.10, an amazing

Statistic in this game, was that Wicklow never scored from play, incredible to say one man scored all 2.10 from frees, Andy O'Brien.

We started this match very well, firing over four or five points before Pats got off the mark, but the game soon slowed down to a real stop start affair, and our lead was reduced to a point coming up to half time, giving silly frees away, then after a great passing move Liam Kenny popped up once again to blast the ball to the net, this was quickly followed by three great individual points by Arran Murphy, who brilliantly controlled the ball first time over the bar, and young Daire Lohan who landed one from out the field just dropping over, and Mikey Browne bursting onto a breaking ball in the middle of the field

and taking on the defence fired over to inspire our lads, we were back in control but just on half time St Pats were awarded a  free and 21 yards out Andy O'Brien

went for the goal and got it, the 1.8 to 1.6 at the break.

The team was hurling well but just couldn't put St Pats away, Kieley  was in charge at

Centre back, Eoin Mason & John Henderson in full control at mid field, Paulie Cunningham lead the charge forward, blanking out John Connors at centre back, shortly after the second half started Kenny had to go off, having pulled up with an injury, in came "the road runner" Luke O'Reilly who tormented the hearts of the Wicklow defence.

Christy Moorehouse was having a stormer and also tormented the Pats boys, popping over

 three points from play and being fouled for a couple more, Mikey was firing over the frees, Pats pulled a few points back from frees and then were awarded a penalty. Mikey Browne coming out with the ball in the corner appeared to be fouled but gave a penalty to St Pats for an off the ball incident , which Andy O'Brien buried. We once again  had to dig deep with the sides level, Mikey pointed two frees for us and gave us a little breathing

Space, with six or seven minutes to go Arran Murphy put the game to bed with a tidy little flick past the advancing goalie, game over.

Christy had the last say, when he latched onto a half cleared ball out of the Wicklow defence and popped it over. The semi-final v Carnew will be a different prospect altogether but we are right there and who knows a county final could be looming, thanks to John Anders who looked after the bag for us Saturday and the back room team for all their efforts, next Sunday in Aughrim is where it's at please come and support us.