Hurlers lift the Billy Byrne Cup

23 October, 2011

The final of the Billy Byrne Cup against Kiltegan was played in atrocious conditions on Sunday in Avondale.

The game was very tight from the start as was to be expected in such dreadful conditions. Kiltegan started quite lively and scored a number of points showing their potential. We responded well with firstly, a goal from a free taken by Peter Kiely which was somewhat fortunate. This was followed by two further goals in the first half by Liam Kenny and Mikey Lee leaving the half time score, Bray Emmets 3-3, Kiltegan 1-5. We were hopeful of a good performance in the second half as we were favoured by the breeze. However, Kiltegan started the second half in impressive style and had some early scores, reducing the margin to one point. Bray battled well in the terrible conditions and scored a further four points leaving the final score Bray Emmets 3-7, Kiltegan 1-9.

There were some very good performances by Bray. Diarmuid Masterson played very well in the most difficult conditions for a goalie. The full-back line played very solidly while the half back line was lead very impressively by Harry Stephenson. John Henderson had a great game at midfield. The conditions were challenging for the forwards so point taking was made very difficult . However a battling performance by players such as Liam Kenny and Eoin Mason and opportunism of Mikey Lee lead to the goals which was the differences between the teams.

This was our last competitive Senior hurling game and it is gratifying to the management that we had a very large panel available for selection which augurs well for the future.

Lineout: D Masterson, D. Moloney, R OBrien, B Brazil, E. Brazil, H Stephenson, P Kiely(1-0), K Lacey, J Henderson (0-1), G. OMurchu (0-1), E. Mason (0-3), P Lee, C Moorehouse(0-2), L Kenny (1-0), M Lee (1-0)

Substitutes: C OMaolmhuaidh for E Brazil, M Walshe for G OMurchu, P Sweeney for K Lacey, W Nolan for P Lee , D Lohan for C Moorehouse