Intermediate Hurling

22 September, 2015

Bray Vs Glenealy

The intermediate hurlers have followed the seniors into another county final for the club. We travelled to Ballinakill last Tuesday  to face Glenealy under lights in the semi- final of the intermediate hurling championship and what a match it was, tough, hard and noncompromising stuff, point for point and end to end. Tom Cash opened his account with a point from a free and this was quickly followed by a great point from Willie Keane.

John Keenan was kept busy for while at this stage and managed to keep order flashing a few yellow cards in the process, the Glenealy robust approach was not working and our lads matched them point for point, concentrating on the hurling and the ball, Darragh Maloney added a point and Tom again with two more, one from play and one from a free, while David Conyard and James Manley kept Glenealy in touch with some well taken scores from frees and play. Half time saw us level at 5 a piece and with us playing towards the clubhouse and a big Emmets support behind us, things looked good.

The whole of the senior team, who had a gym session up there before the match started to become vocal and encouraging the lads on. Shortly after the break a few changes were made, Willie Keane suffered a bad thumb injury, so Matt Thompson was introduced along with Luke O’Reilly and Nikki Sweeney, the game was still very even and no quarter given. Glenealy started to take a small grip on things and went ahead by a point but then came the purple patch from our lads lead by Enda McHugh who was immense at the back, midway through the second half Tom landed a monster from play, quickly followed by another from Nikki Sweeney, we then missed a few chances to pull away and drive on but back came Glenealy putting pressure on our goal time after time.

Cathal Reddin, Jordan Lee, and Luke O’Reilly cleared the world of ball in the last quarter and Mick Walsh even stopping one from going over the bar with Seanie Maloney getting her out of the danger zone, Liam Kenny with all his experience came out from full forward to get in a great hook and win possession flicking the ball to Ben McCormack who was fouled and Tom once again, for his tenth point of the game slotted her over the bar, Willie Keane had come back on at this stage after Cameron had worked a miracle on him, and was to be denied by the post with rocket of a shot in the dying minute, the ball was cleared out for a 65, which we failed to convert but Keenan sounded the final whisle after four minutes of injury time causing euphoria on the Bray touch line.

The result was a fair one, both teams gave there all, both teams had misses but overall we were the best team and deserved the win, final score 13 to 11. Many thanks for all the support , the history pages just might have another double written in this year.

Team: Michael Walsh, Sean Maloney, Enda McHugh, Jordan Lee, Barry Cunningham, Peter Conroy, Cathal Reddin, Lorcan Pratt, Ryan Tynan, Darragh Maloney(1), Willie Keane(1), Ben McCormack, Tom Cash(10) Liam Kenny and Brian Duggan, Matt Thompson, Nicholas Sweeney(1) Luke O’Reilly, Ed Keating, Shane Lohan, William Robinson.