Intermediate Hurling

23 August, 2015

Bray Emmets Vs Gleanealy

1-14  to 1-7

The intermediate hurlers came up against Glenealy, the current champions, in Arklow on a very wet Sunday evening last. Our lads had played well in the opening two games but this would be a much tougher test, and it certainly didn’t disappoint.

Glenealy started well with a point from Jack Kavanagh from a free, Tom Cash then pointed from a free and Nikki Sweeney put us ahead with a point from play, Kavanagh levelled again with another free to make it two points each. We were just getting on top when Glenealy got a somewhat fortuitous goal from a free that went all the way to the net from out the field. This was a blow but the reaction was just what you would want to see, Ben McCormack who stepped into the goal for the injured Michael Walsh picked the ball out and sent it right back up the field where Willie Keane caught and fired over the bar to narrow the gap from 40 yards, Tom added another to end the half, with the bare minimum between the teams 1.2 to 4 with us very much in control.

No changes for the second half as we faced the town end goal fully focussed on the job ahead. We completely dominated this half. Liam Kenny gave the full back Tony Doyle of Glenealy a torried time, forcing him to foul on several occasions and no doubt Tom Cash was smiling every time as he kept tapping them over, midway through the half the move and score of the day came, Dara Maloney played a lovely low ball into Kenny who gathered and popped it out ahead of” Duggs” who with a great first touch collected and blasted with the boot past Cormac Geraghty in the Glenealy goal, Brian “Duggs” Duggan then added a bomb from the side line to net him 1.1.

Tom Cash also landed two monster points from play to bring his total to 10 points on the day. Jordan Lee replaced Luke O’Reilly with ten minutes to go and did well, over all our backs were very good but were guilty of giving away some easy frees which kept Glenealy in touch, the full back line lead by Enda Mchugh never took the eye off the ball, with Seanie Maloney and Ryan Tynan putting in a fair shift.

Deep into the second half Ben made a great save which really sucked the life out of the opposition and while Peter Conroy was missed at number 6 through injury, Matt Thompson handled the task admirably.

At the final whistle we edged it 1.14 to 1.7 (all frees), next up is Carnew and then semi-final open draw where we could easily have Glenealy again.

 Many thanks to all the lads for the help on the night, especially the night that was in it, Ciano for the warm up, Michael Walsh and the boys on the water, hurlies and towels, Harry on the stats, Chris and Barry for umpiring and all the backroom team, Mick O’B & Willie Cash.

Team: Ben McCormack, Seanie Maloney, Enda McHugh, Ryan Tynan, Cathal Reddin, Matt Thompson, Barry Cunningham, Lorcan Pratt, Dara Malmoney(capt), Nicholas Sweeney, Willie Keane, Luke O’Reilly, Tom Cash, Liam Kenny, Brian Duggan, Ned Keating, Jordan Lee, Ishmal Mnesa, Shane Lohan, Cathal Magee and William Robinson.